Who knew, the secret to great mexican cheese dip is white american cheese. I tried forever to figure this out. Look for the american cheese in the deli or at BJ’s/Costco. Not just any white cheese will work because some cheeses (mexican crumbling cheese for example) were not meant for melting. You will get a chunky, nasty mess. Believe me, I learned this the hard way. Some other chesses will melt but won’t taste the same. This is a very easy food to take to a party that everyone will be sure to love.
- Combine all ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring after every minute. The mixture will seem watery at first, but will combine into a runny dip once all the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips for dipping.
- Store leftover dip in the refrigerator.
- Reheat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until creamy and hot.